Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Hunger Games

I finally finished all three books in The Hunger Games series and am very glad that I did. I had to find out what all of the buzz about these books was about. I often read Young Adult novels if they get excellent reviews, a good book is a good book after all. It's nice to see that there are alternatives to vampires and witches.
Several months ago I picked up the first in the series and read a chapter and said Huh? This is just too weird. I tried again a couple months later and was hooked after a few chapters. The story takes place in a future post-nuclear world where the population is divided into Districts with very specific rules and functions all headed by The Capitol. Each year a male and female from each District are chosen to participate in The Hunger Games where they fight to the death until only one remains. The story is told by Katniss Everdeen, who volunteers in her sister's place.
I loved the first two books much more than the third. Mockingjay went on just a little too long and the gruesome details began to be a bit much by the end of it all.
Highly recommended, 4-5 (out of 5) stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!