Thursday, May 12, 2016

Review- American Gods by Neil Gaiman


Weird and wonderful, this was a remarkable bit of storytelling. I usually don't read this kind of book but I was intrigued by Neil Gaiman from some of my favorite episodes of Doctor Who so thought I would explore some. I was totally captivated. 

This was a surreal mixture of Norse mythology- Icelandic sagas, some Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and his modern day Greek gods, Twilight Zone maybe mixed with Stephen King and Robert McCammon, some good old yarns spun by some oldster by the fire. Put that all in a blender and you may come close to approaching what I saw in this book.

Take a dreamlike tour across America with various gods, demons, and mortals all struggling for the heart and soul of mankind. They say that nobody is truly "from" America, we have all essentially come from other lands, bringing our cultures, stories, and beliefs along with us. Gaiman weaves a brilliant saga- old gods against new gods, good against evil, battles as old as time itself. Mostly it was a story about doing the right thing in the face of overwhelming odds, forgiveness, and redemption.

A bit violent and disturbing in some places, but infinitely unputdownable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!