Monday, April 9, 2012

The Sisters Brothers


The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt- 4 (of 5) stars.
There is no doubt that this book had a lot of violence in it, it reminded me a lot of a Coen brothers movie. This is the tale of Eli (the narrator of the story) and his brother Charlie Sisters who are a couple of hired guns out in the Old West on the trail of a prospector in California during the Gold Rush. I never thought I would be this drawn in to a western but it was really more of a story about the relationship between the brothers and the various characters that they meet up with and how circumstances change them. A very fast and enjoyable read if you can make it past the cavalier violent acts and some really gross surgical procedure scenes. I really liked Eli and was rooting for him to take a different trail in life, not the one he fell into step with mostly out of love and admiration for his older brother.
Really awesome artwork on the book cover. One of the best I've seen this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!