Thursday, October 1, 2015

Best Buttermilk Pancakes

These were seriously the best pancakes I've ever had. I found the recipe in the Le Creuset Cast Iron way to cook Cookbook.
For the pancakes: 1 1/3 c. sifted AP flour, 4 tbsp. sugar, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1 c. buttermilk (I used lowfat), 1/2 c. milk (I used whole), 3 tbsp. melted butter, 2 large eggs.
For the topping: 1 can pitted cherries, 1 tbsp. sugar, finely grated zest of 1 lemon (this totally made the sauce), 2 tsp. cornstarch. Drain the cherries and reserve juice. Put cherries, sugar, lemon zest and 4 tbsp reserved juice in pan over medium heat. Bring to gentle boil. Mix cornstarch with a little bit of water and add, simmer until thickened. If you want to splurge, add a bit of cherry brandy. I used Royal (Queen) Ann cherries, easy to find here in the Pacific Northwest. Oh my....
I had a few and stopped myself from going for more by freezing the rest of the batch individually in the freezer, ready for another day or for when Billy comes home for a visit. This will be my "go to" pancake recipe from here on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!